Monday, June 28, 2010

Venice to Florence/ Random facts





I left Venice (Venezia) yesterday and traveled by train to Florence (Firenze). The Italian countryside was idyllic, the farms green and beautiful. We went through many long tunnels as we passed under the Appenine Mountains.

Here are some random facts that I haven't really shared with you yet.

In Greece and in Venice there are gelaterias all over. Gelato is the Italian version of ice cream. I'm not really sure what the difference is. I will have to take a picture of one to include later. I have tried several flavors so far; hazelnut, chocolate, lemon, coconut, and nutella. I will let you know of any new ones I try:) There are also snack shops everywhere. So you can get a pizza or a panini anytime of day you want. They also have chips (in Greece they had Pringles in every shop), and cups of fresh fruit.

The hot and cold water labels are C for hot (calidaria) and F for cold (frigida).
In Croatia I learned that they invented the necktie. The women would wrap red scarves around the necks of the men coming back from war/travel. In Venice, on the island of Murano, they make glass. They make jewelry (beads or pendents), vases, picture frames, etc. It is all very colorful.



No comments:

Post a Comment