Thursday, July 1, 2010

Florence













Florence was a very fast paced city, at least compared to Venice. In Venice there were thousands of people, and a lot of boats. In Florence, there are people everywhere, plus cars, trucks, motorcycles, and bicycles - all going fast. I wasn't sure if I wanted to be a pedestrian in Florence when our taxi driver got very close to hitting several people.
Florence is in a region called Tuscany, and it is very beautiful. There are green hills and the houses have red tile roofs. The big dome in Florence is the dome of the Duomo ( a Cathedral) and is the largest dome in the world. The entry (facade) of the Duomo was ornate with statues and designs in rare green and pink marble.

I saw Cellini's Perseus and Medusa - a personal favorite, yet also the first bronze statue that was cast in one piece. I also saw Michelangelo's David, but I don't have a picture since we couldn't take pitures in the Accademia.
Overall Florence went by very quickly - and I didn't get run over, which is a good thing. Also they took us to a fabulous gelateria, where I had pistachio and dark chocolate. And I got a taste of black cherry (which had a slight almond flavoring too).

No comments:

Post a Comment